Saturday, June 03, 2006

Six Degrees of Separation

I was having one of those doggy dreams today... you know the kind, paws are twitching... eyes rolling around in their sockets, and little dream barks quietly emitting from the throat. Anyway... in this dream I was chasing a rabbit, but I couldn't catch it. My Dads were yelling at me to leave the little fellow alone... and in the dream my feet would "run" but not make contact with the ground. It was surreal. When I came to, Chris was petting me and comforting me. I guess he is used to this because my sister Sarah Basset has what he calls "squirrel chasing" dreams all the time.

Sarah and I were talking later and we were curious why our Dads always discourage us from eating the bugs, chasing the cute little furry animals in the yard and doing all these things dogs are "supposed" to do. We couldn't really come up with a good answer, but Sarah says she's heard our people talk before about "parents" and that a lot of time you can't understand why they demand certain behaviors of you... then one day you look back and go "OH... I learned to behave differently because of that." Well, whatever it is, I suppose if I can't actually be allowed to hunt, at least they bring me those great toys that I get to rip the squeaker out of and de-stuff all over the living room!!

Moving right along to today's post topic: Sarah and I thought of a game (since our Bistro Bulldog updates aren't going as quickly as we originally hoped, we are "vamping" to entertain you!)

We call this idea the "Six Degrees of Seperation". We'll take a different twist on it though: in an effort to promote conversation between our reader's.

We hope you will each answer the following questions and we'll see if any of our paths have crossed in the past -- before this blog came into being! (I'll assume the obvious connections since a few of you do know each other.) In the comment section after the post, you can list the numbers and answers for yourself. Then we'll see if any of us had close karmic encounters prior to Hurricane Katrina. Here goes:

1) Where were you when my Dads were born? That would be October 1970 (Chris) and January 1971 (John).
2) Where did you live for any part of the Bicentennial year (1976)?
3) Where did you live when my Dads graduated from highschool (June of 1988)?
4) List a job you held or a place you visited the year my Dad's met - 1997.
5)Where did you spend New Years Eve 1999 into 2000? [Anybody remember Y2K?]
6) Is there anywhere else you've ever lived/visited that you feel like mentioning here?(Include years if you can remember them.)

These 6 questions are fairly arbitrary but we dogs are interested in how much you humans move/change and explore different surroundings. It is facinating. Maybe you'll find out you shared some "time and space" with someone else here, or maybe you'll learn something interesting about someone you already know!

Now for the random food tie-in to keep my blog true to its content... feel free to enjoy some apples and carrots while you answer the "quiz" (they are a favorite snack of Sarah's and mine when our Dads slice some up and share with us! Collard stalks are something we enjoy that surprised the boys- they cut up collards, apples and other fruits/greens for the Iguanas. We get little nibbles while the preparations are made. Nibbles of the fruits and such, not the iguanas! Just wanted to be clear on that!)

Well, thanks for dropping by and hope you'll fill in some answers!

Love ya'll like a wild run around the house after one of those terrible "baths" that Dad likes to give me.

Bone-appetit,
Joy Beagle

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Joy,
1) Moving from Greensboro, NC, to Ogden, UT (Nov '70)
2) Ogden, UT
3) Liberty, UT
4) Medical Technologist, McKay Dee Hosp, Ogden, UT
5) Enjoying a champagne party in a limo in Washington DC
6) Visited:
1961 - Nassau, Bahamas
1969 - Poland, Hungary, USSR (as it was known then), Finland, Scotland, Ireland
1998 - New Zealand
2000 - Central America
2003 - Argentina, Peru, Bolivia
2005 - Spain, Portugal
2006 - Mexico
------
Yo, Joy,
Katie here. Concerning the apples, carrots, and collard greens, I'm thinking most dogs eat first and ask questions later (esp if Mom or Dad are planning on eating the item, too)! Us cat types are just a little more careful. Frankly, the iguanas sound a bit more interesting!
Here's sniffing at you,
Katie

Anonymous said...

Wow Tooky! Impressive Passport stamps in your collection!

Thanks for sharing.

Here are mine:

1)Born in Athens, GA 1970
2)Still in Athens
3)Still in Athens
4)Lived in Baltimore and worked at Legg Mason
5)Sedona, AZ (Lizard Head Lounge was a bizarre highlight that evening.)
6)Lived in Tallahassee briefly as an infant - no recollection of it. My Dad moved to various places after my folks divorced: Lubboch, Tx / San Diego, CA / Allendale, NJ / Sewickley (Pittsburgh), PA / Long Island, NY / Mahwah, NJ

Anonymous said...

Howdy Joy Beagle,
I've been neglecting you and your dad....so here goes for the info you wanted to chew around on with Sarah and your dads:
l) Living in Huntington Beach,Ca. Office Manager for a diesel engine distributor in Newport Beach, Ca. Tom decided to sell his race car a year after we married - couldn't afford that hobby AND a wife!
2) Now in our home in Tustin, CA., same job.
3) Phoenix, AZ (Gutsy move to quit a nice paying job in CA to start our own business in '79 at the age of 47 and hubby 42!)
4) Accountant, Estimator, General
Flunky and Gofer in our Mom & Pop business.
5) NY Eve and overnight with dear friends in Chino Valley, AZ.
6) Born in Wichita, KS, in 1932 and lived in KS, OK & IL until 1952. '52 - '65 in Indianapolis (attended the Indy 500 each year- but NOW I'm a true blue NASCAR fan!).
Moved to Phoenix in '65 - to CA in '70 when Tom & I married, back to Phx. '79 - '99 - then to Tucson for 3 yrs and now in Strawberry 4 yrs.
Tom & I have visited 49 of the 50 states and all but one of the CN Provinces. Some of these were visited individually before we were married, but the largest percentage have been visited during our 36 yrs. together. Towed the 25' trailer to the NE (clear to the Gaspe Peninsula which included an 18% grade where there was road construction - but we made it up the grade on the loose gravel/dirt without spinning the wheels or breaking an axle) and to Alaska in 2002. Gosh, there are so many places we wish to revisit - - we have such a beautiful and diverse country that we haven't explored it sufficiently to venture abroad.
(HI is the missing state not visited.)
As usual, Joy, I'm sure this is more information than you ever wished for, but sometimes I have diarrhea of the mouth - or in this case, fingers.
I'm really enjoying your blog and getting to visit with Tooky and Katie vicariously!
Hugs, Mary

Anonymous said...

OH JOY,

I don't know whether it is when you reach 74 that your mind sends incorrect messages to the fingers, or the fingers just do what they want to do at their age, but we went to Alaska in 2001 - not 2002.
Error corrected!!!

Love & hugs, Mary

Joy Beagle said...

Boy, you humans do amazing things! I have only been alive a year, and though the Hurricane riddled New Orleans and Arizona are the only places I've lived... my Dads did take me to Las Vegas for my first road trip! (I didn't get to gamble though... just stayed in the hotel room and watched Animal Planet.)

Anonymous said...

Joy, I hope you are an avid Animal Planet fan and not just a Las Vegas one time only viewer. Last night there was a great two-part program about the life, behavior and survival of a Meercat 'gang' - one of MY favorite animals (that's after my #1 love - dogs). There will be more next week - be sure & watch, I know you will enjoy seeing these marvelous little creatures in their habitat.

Hugs, Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy:
1. Willingboro NJ
2-3 Columbia, MD
4. Lived in Baltimore, visited West Palm Beach and Key West
5. Sedona, AZ
6. I also have lived in Ketchum, ID and on a Buddhist Retreat Center outside of Payson, AZ

MsT said...

1. 5th grade
2. Torrington, CT
3. Poolesville, MD
4. Self employed, Sedona, AZ
5. Jane and Wib's
6. A year or two in Hartford, CT and Gaithersburg, MD

Anonymous said...

1) Louisville, KY
2) Louisville, KY
3) Began that month in Evansville, IN--having left Columbus, OH, a few weeks earlier--ended it living in Chicago, IL
4) Los Angeles, CA
5) North Shore of Oahu...My then-boyfriend thought it would be the best place to be if Y2K came down :-)
6) Visited:
1984 - Denver, CO
1985 - New York, NY; Minneapolis, MN
1986 - Chicago, IL
1998 - Virgina Beach, VA
1999 - Edisto Island, SC; Washington, DC; Chincoteague and other spots on the VA peninsula; Outer Banks of NC
2000 - New Orleans, LA; London, England; Edinburgh, Scotland
2001 - Los Angeles, again; Chicago, IL, again
2004 - Meridian, MS
2005 - Meridian, MS, again; Tybee Island, GA; St. Louis, MO; Dakini Valley, AZ(!)
2006 - Sudbury, Suffolk, England

Also, been to the Smoky Mountains more times than I can remember...
and countless towns across KY, TN, OH, IN, and IL