Friday, April 14, 2006

Hot Diggity Dog




Well, My person (who shall remain nameless) gave up on blogging. So as a young and on the rise writer myself, and incidentally a survivor of Hurricane Katrina, I (Joy Beagle*) hereby deem this a blog by the dogs, for the dogs!! (Your dogs, their dogs, anyone's dogs... it's for the dogs of the world!)

As was mentioned in the almost last post of RGBR there has long been a sense that we dogs live a secret life when our people are not home. Oh, they don't TRULY believe we steal construction equipment and go on daily adventures, wreaking total havoc with the humans we encounter... but my running mate Sarah Basset and I are happy that our people (John and Chris) become so amused at the tales of our pet antics. I figure there are lots of people out there like them!? Then again maybe we are living with some lone freaks among the canine companion realm! In either case... laissez les bonne temps roullez!!

Well... I also figured that now I have a place to share my recipes. If I can also research other doggie diet tips you will see them here. I am ready to explore this dog theme to the fullest and I hope you will play along! My paws hope to tap and type away at this keyboard every week until we have one Hot Diggity Dog of a blog.

My first delectible tip : Tonight Chris whipped up a mean old bowl of Pork Chops and and a side of tumeric oatmeal for Sarah and I. It was deafening to hear my Id tag banging against the side of the bowl as I woofed it down. I watched him make this stuff and this is what I saw:

1 cup of instant oats (plain - no sugary stuff of course!)
2 cups of water (Voila - quick oats are boiled and ready in five minutes)
He threw in a few shakes of tumeric powder - one of MY FAVES!!
A little pat of butter and some parsley were thrown in and he set that aside to cool.

Then he took a couple frozen porkchops and placed them in a covered frying pan with a little oil. The lid keeps Sarah and I from getting burned by spatter grease as we circle his feet at the oven like floor sharks!

When the pork had most of the outer frost melted off, he quickly added a splash of water ad lidded it before the "fireworks" began (you know - water in hot oil!!!) This steamed up the pan under that lid and helped make tender yummy pork chops. About 7-10 minutes over the heat and he poked the chops to make sure they were giving off clear juices. Once he couldn't see pink - the chops were removed and the meat diced off the bone.

Let me tell you, my home girl Sarah Basset and me - we PIGGED OUT (literally). You should give this a try if you feed your doggy good stuff. Remember not to salt or use onion or anything else that is bad for us pups.

And as my house trained human says to me every time he puts a bowl of kibble in front of me... "Bone Appetit!"

Love ya'll like a litter mate,
-Joy B.

[*-Joy Piggle is the name I was given after originally being called "Joy Beagle". I may use the two interchangeably. I am probably not a beagle at all, when I look in the mirror I see a little Pitt Bull (oh relax... all of us New Orleans evcuees had some Pitt Mix in us it seemed... it ain't all the terror it's made out to be) and possibly some Dachshound or Golden Retreiver. I'm sort of a Baskin Robbins multi flavor gal. But my People call me Piggle to allude to those famous (if not over exposed) Pug-Beagle "Pugles" that are the designer dog craze right now. I do declare, you humnans have a funny way of throwing all our genetics in a blender and coming out with some crazy canine cock(er)tails... ]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Joy Beagle, I see you have gained access to my PC and blog site! I just wanted to mention sweetie that anybody out there trying these recipes may wish to consult with a vet if you have concerns about what you are feeding your dog - and make sure that you take all necessary measures to give your pet a healthy balanced diet! I claim NO EXPERTISE in my canine culinary knowledge!

Can you believe my crazy dog... starting her own blog!? Geez!