Saturday, April 15, 2006

Introducing "Bistro" Bulldog

Hey Everybody...
I cannot even START to tell you how excited I am about this next post. I'm a pretty lucky dog. I came through that awful Hurricane, and ended up in gorgeous Red Rock country out here in Sedona, AZ. There were a lot of dogs that weren't as fortunate as me... and even though my new family is curious about where I came from and how I ended up rescued and in their lives - I just can't seem to recall my life before that storm. Guess a big ole mardi gras float may have hit me in the head or something! Anyhow, my new house is allowing me to relax and be more joyful. That is what my friend always says... my name was given to me as an aspirational title!

Anyway, since now I am going through a nasty process to get rid of my heartworms (I guess I got them from some silly old mosquito along the way) I have to stay pretty quiet and restful for the time being. That's why Sarah Basset and I decided we would sponsor one of our dog friends to go on a tour de force on our behalf. Now we can live vicariously through the adventure here on my blog!

We both suggested a doggy "replica" candidate to be the traveller. (Our people keep all these animals around the house that aren't real, they are cloth animals full of beans and white fluffy stuffing - side note: nothing gives me greater pleasure than when Sarah or I get to gut one of these and remove all the white fluffy stuff and that little squeaky thingy - what's up with that? Alright back to my point.) So, Sarah suggests Pickler, her stuffed Basset...



... but since Pickler is lifesize... I figured postage would be a bit steep to send her around from place to place. Not to mention when we did her application interview... I asked if she had any thoughts about the contest... she just stared at us and never blinked. Well, it did not bode well for her to be our roving Rover!(BTW-can anyone guess why we call her Pickler? Anybody watch that Tuesday night Fox show on TV that my people are always staring at? It has all those humans howling into a microphone... and that silly English alpha dog that growls at everybody. The term "Dogpound" gets tossed around like it's some special place... clearly these humans are CLUELESS about what to idolize.)


So, after Pickler is voted down, we agreed that the best candidate would be my buddy "Bistro" the bulldog. Here he is comforting me after my really awful heartworm treatments:




So he's the totally tricked out pup that will be hitting the road for the 2006 Bone Appetit Tour!

Well I don't want to give all the excitement away today... but suffice it to say we think Bistro is about to embark on the thrill ride of a lifetime! Good luck and Dog Speed!

Til the next pooch post, I'll leave you with the Joy Beagle recipe of the day. (Endorsed 100% by Sarah Basset... of course, she's been know to eat about everything our people put in front of her!)

Recipe #2: Liver and Brown Rice!

Daddy (is that too colloquial, okay I'll call him Chris) puts a cup and a half of unseasoned brown rice in the rice cooker with 3 cups of water. Then he takes a pint of chicken livers from the local grocer's deli and pan fries them in a little olive oil. While the organ meat is cooking thoroughly, he boils a pot of water and cooks two cups of green beans (frozen kind, not canned)with just a dallup of unsalted butter.

Basically when the liver and green beans are cooked, the beans get drained and added to the liver pan to simmer in the meat juice. Then a little tumeric and parsley are added and the pan is covered - but the pan is not over heat anymore. When the rice cooker has finished the brown rice, it is all stirred together in a big bowl, and then portioned out for Sarah and I to have for the next two meals. We LOVE this treat and it seems so much fresher than the mystery meat in canned dog food!

Well, we are drooling now so I'm gonna sign off and see if we can trick our Dads into thinking it is time to feed us.

Bone Appetit Ya'll!!!

Love,
J.B.

No comments: